Wednesday, June 3, 2009

More books

Ok, since my last post I have finished Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein, and Reference Librarianship: Notes from the trenches by Charles Anderson and Peter Sprenkle.

First up: Your Best Birth. I really enjoyed reading this, as it goes along a lot with what I think/feel about giving birth, but it was not as researched based as other books I've read. I think if I hadn't read other books that cite the research, I would not have liked it so much. I did like the birth stories included, and love that Ricki Lake is advocating for taking birth back from the medical field.

Reference Librarianship was a fun, quick read. It is based on a reference librarian's blog that he kept for a year. Each chapter starts out with notes on a certain subject having to do with reference librarianship, then ends with a the blog notes for a certain month. I found the writing to be sub-par, which suprised me for a librarian. It tended to be repetitive in the wording. However, I loved the notes from being on the job. As a librarian-in-training, I found the notes a fascinating glimpse into what maybe in my future. Some of it was laugh out loud funny.

Another birthday has come and gone for me, and it was a pretty good one. A pregnancy massage and a new lap top from my husband. The massage was awesome, now I might have to treat myself to another one later on. I still have 3 months ahead of me, which I'm sure will be less than comfortable. And my brother-in-law's parents gave me my very own Varga girl! It's a calendar page from the month of June, my birth month, and man is this chick hot! I have been admiring their many pin-ups, and my sister has one too. A great suprise! Here she is:



Other things on my mind: This baby is really active...I don't think it has stopped moving in two days, and it does not always feel great. I think I'm going to have a 10lb baby...

And are people serious with the things that they say? Some lady at my work, who I barely know, told me I look huge today. How nice is that? I thought I was looking small for once too.

And I know people are just trying to be nice, but I'm so sick of hearing "How are you feeling?"

OK, enough ranting. I just started My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult, my best friend's birthday gift to me. I'm only about 40 pages in, and I have already gotten weepy. I don't know that emotional pregnant ladies should be reading such a book! Anyway, more on that later.

No comments: