Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Books, books and more good books

Ok, so I finished Factory Girls by Leslie Chang. What a great book! I found it very intriguing to learn about the great migration going on in China today, and Chang also weaves in some of the past. Since I know very little about China and its culture, I really learned a lot. Since I am a poor blogger and have pregnancy brain, it is hard for me to remember all that I learned right now...let me ponder it. I guess what I found interesting was the difference in the Chinese culture from American culture. They are extremely family based, and it seems everyone is a "cousin" or "uncle" or "aunt" and the young migrants are expected to take care of the family. The bits about the cultural revolution that China experienced was really interesting to me, since I know so little about communism. I also found it really interesting that many Chinese migrants believe that the path to success is through learning english. From these scattered thoughts, take this: A great, eye-opening read about today's migrant Chinese workers with the author's family history weaved in. I highly recommend it!

The weather is warm and summer session of school doesn't start for another month. Here's what I have on my to read list, that I'm currently reading or getting ready to read:
Reference Librarianship: Notes from the trenches by Charles R. Anderson and Peter Sprenkle
Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein
Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey (Ok, I already read this, but I need a refresher)
Hold Tight by Harlan Coben (I borrowed this from my sister a long time ago and I think I will finally have time to read it)

And I'm working on a baby blanket and still finishing two little sweaters. Pictures to come!

No comments: